About Me

My photo
Hussam has been a lifelong human rights activist who is passionate about promoting democratic societies, in the US and worldwide, in which all people, including immigrants, workers, minorities, and the poor enjoy freedom, justice, economic justice, respect, and equality. Mr. Ayloush frequently lectures on Islam, media relations, civil rights, hate crimes and international affairs. He has consistently appeared in local, national, and international media. Full biography at: http://hussamayloush.blogspot.com/2006/08/biography-of-hussam-ayloush.html

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Back from Manzanar. More great memories. Toyo Miyatake's grandson.

Like every year, for the last 5 years, CAIR joined the Manzanar Committee and many other groups on this year's annual Manzanar Pilgrimage.

Over 100 Southern California Muslims joined the CAIR bus and participated in this inspirational event. I will write more about it.

My highlight this year was meeting the grandson of Toyo Miyatake.
Miyatake was the award-winning Japanese American photographer who was interned at Manzanar. Miyatake's struggle and inspirational story were the subject of a recent documentary film entitled: Toyo's Camera. I am very honored to be in that documentary.

Below, is my picture with Gary Miyatake, the grandson of the legendary Toyo.










1 comment:

Gary Miyatake said...

Hussam, it was my honor to meet you at Manzanar. I mentioned that the part of the movie that you played made the movie become very current. Since then, we have been working on a Non Profit Organization which will teach children art thru photography, and to carry on my grandfather legacy of tracking where Japanese American are now with the internet by having people send a photo and story of where they are now. And hopefully form a gallery and photography school. My website is www.toyoimages.com. I would like for you in some shape or form to be part of the npo.
Gary Toyo Miyatake